REFERRALS TO READING U
REFERRAL CRITERIA 2020
HOW IS A CHILD REFERRED TO ATTEND READING UNIVERSITY?
- Classroom teachers make referral forms available to parents for students who qualify.
- Parents complete and sign the referral form and return it to the classroom teacher.
- The classroom teacher sends the form to Reading U.
- Reading U sends an email to parents and the referring teacher advising that the child has been accepted into the program.
- is reading just below Grade 3 reading level by the end of Grade 3, and needs a little more time, attention and practice to meet grade level expectations
- is reading at an F&P Instructional level M/N leaving Grade 3
- has the potential to achieve grade level reading status with three weeks of focused intervention and has the motivation to continue practicing
- is possibly a reluctant reader but shows the potential to develop a positive attitude about reading
- may struggle with writing due to poor word building skills
- needs to learn more reading strategies to support understanding of what is read
- has caregivers who will commit to the child attending the full three week program (no exceptions)
- is showing little to no growth in reading despite focused interventions at school
- is significantly below grade level in reading FAR below peers (and has been all year)
- is a non-reader
- is an ESL student with VERY limited ability in English
- has severe emotional or behavioral disabilities, or is a non-compliant reader
- needs a scribe for written work
- has or shares the assistance of an EA at school